Saturday, July 20, 2013

Historical romance author - Margery Scott



It's my pleasure to welcome historical romance author, Margery Scott to my blog today! Please introduce yourself. Tell us a little about the person behind the pen.

Unlike a lot of other authors, I wasn’t born with a pencil in my hand and with stories dying to be told. I didn’t even think about writing until my children were grown and gone. Just for fun, I decided to try writing a fictional account of my parents’ romance during WWII, and  I discovered how much I enjoyed writing. The rest, as they say, is history. Now, I’m lucky enough to live on a lake in southern Canada and I write full-time – historical romance, suspense, contemporary, whatever genre my muse dictates. When I’m  not writing, I’m usually traveling, searching for the perfect setting for my next novel, or wielding a pool cue or a pair of knitting needles.

How much research goes into your books, and how do you tackle that?

Writing historical romance gives me an excuse to do something I love to do – research.  If I didn’t give myself a deadline, I’m sure I could spend all my time searching for obscure tidbits to add to my novels instead of writing. There’s a fine balance between too much research and not enough. The hard part is knowing when enough is enough.

Tell us a little about your writing style? Do you plan and plot your stories, or do you just plow through them?

I call myself a plotter but I really think I’m a hybrid. I love charts and lists, spreadsheets and detailed outlines. I really do plan to stick to them, but somehow, around chapter three, the outline I slaved over is forgotten and my right brain takes over. I do think – for me – it’s important to have that outline, almost a safety net in case I get too carried away.

Can you tell us a little about your current work,  Trey? Is there a story behind the story?

Trey is the second novella in the Morgans of Rocky Ridge trilogy.  When I wrote Cade’s story (the first book), I had no intentions of writing a trilogy. Somewhere during the writing, Trey and Zane, Cade’s two cousins, demanded their own stories.

What sets your heroine, Claire, apart from all the other women in Trey’s life? Why is she perfect for him?

Trey has spent his life relying on his good looks to charm women. Claire is the only woman he’s met who’s not only immune to him, but dislikes everything he stands for, yet manages to see through the happy-go-lucky exterior to the man he really is.

What else do you have in store for your readers?

I’m working on Zane’s story now, and it should be available late next month. Zane is the antithesis of Trey – he’s a quiet, non-assuming man who has made the choice to live his life alone. Until Priscilla Ford comes into his life and makes him start questioning those choices.

The Morgans of Rocky Ridge: Trey is available now at the following e-retailers:






Margery loves to hear from her readers. You can contact her here:
Email:  margery@margeryscott.com
Website: www. margeryscott.com

5 comments:

  1. Hi Margery, your books sound like fun reads. I am going to check them out on Amazon right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, thanks so much for inviting me to visit today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shirl, thanks for stopping by. Both books were fun to write, so I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your character names! Zane? Trey? Fabulous. Great post on both you and your novels. Do remember one of my favorite quotes as you waffle back from plotter to panster [which is my specialty!], 'No surprise for the writer, no surprise for the reader'! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting, Lala. Good quote. I will remember that. Trey's name seemed to fit because card players (which he is) call a three a Trey :)

    ReplyDelete